Starlight Baptist Church  - 1280 Highway 150, Bessemer, AL 35022
   A Condensed History of the Starlight Missionary Baptist Church
           
     The permanent structure of Starlight Missionary Baptist Church was built in 1916. In 1951, Reverend P.H. Hall purchased the original building and adjoining lots.
      The church was incorporated in 1956. A new edifice was constructed in 1967, both accomplished under the leadership of Reverend Leon H. Glover.
       The church experienced tremendous growth after the Reverend Paul W. Williams was installed on September 2, 1995. A bus and audiotape ministry indicated a new direction for the church.
        In 2000, an education wing was added to promote Christian Education. EXPO 2004 furthered the educational journey with the addition of a library and computer lab. the Church's mission fulfilling as we progress through God's grace, this, "Strengthening the Ties that Bind".
 
 
 





      Rev. Dr. Alfonso Ross, Jr was called as pastor in July 2008. His new vision for Starlight centered on Christian Education and the whole of man in which he set up a Department of Christian Education, reinstated Bible study and implemented a two-year study of the Bible, restarted teacher's meetings, the first health fair was conducted, successful mother/daughter brunches were held to bring mothers and daughters of this flock together as one, installed a security system and additional lighting, a protective fence around the air conditioner unit was added to increase safety,upgraded the audio-tape ministry by converting to CDs, established a Youth Advisory Board, leadership conferences are held at least once a year. As part of the mission of the church a local nursing home was adopted with gifts being distributed to the female occupants, the first Youth Summit was held, the Brotherhood was set up which is an organization to bring the men of the church into fellowship through teaching and training. In equipping the saints, Will's and Power of Attorney counseling was offered free by a local attorney. The Starlight Community Outreach Program received exempt status. In honor of the late Reverend Leon Holsey Glover who served as pastor of the church 39 years, the annual "Glover Award" was established. The award was presented to two recipients in its first year; Sis. Azaline Davis and Sis. Flora James. Pastor Ross continually feeds the flock the word of God. He is the 2nd Vice Moderator of the Jefferson County District Association.
 
 
 




You need Flash Player in order to view this.